Meet Albin Ouschan (World 9-Ball Champion)
Albin Ouschan is undoubtedly one of the best Austrian pool players of all time. He has made, and still is making a mark on the global pool stage, having won major championships and titles.
Ouschan has been playing pool for over two decades and has played some of the game’s greatest stars of the modern era, like Shane Van Boening. He is still at the peak of his career, and if you have followed his progress over the years, you can expect him to accomplish more.
In this article, you will learn more about Ouschan, from how he started playing pool and going pro, to his biggest championships to date and the cues he prefers to use when playing.
Who is Albin Ouschan?
Albin Alois Ouschan was born in Klagenfurt, Austria August 14, 1990, in a family of pool fanatics. His parents owned a pool hall, so he was exposed to the sport very early.
Ouschan and his older sister, Jasmin (currently one of the best players in women’s pool), started playing pool very young. They had a miniature pool table and would spend many hours playing and learning the sport every day.
His father, also a professional pool player, introduced Ouschan to competitive pool before he even turned 10, and by 11, he was a European pool champion. Ouschan still holds the record for the youngest European pool champion ever.
Ouschan continued playing pool into his teenage years, and by 16, he was dominating local and regional pool tournaments. As a teenager, he won Austrian Pool Championships several times in 8-ball, 9-ball, and straight pool.
When did Albin Ouschan turn pro?
Ouschan turned professional in 2007. He was already a dominant player in the European junior and youth leagues, so the transition to professional pool was pretty easy.
His 2006 Dynamic Austrian Open win pushed him to go pro at a young age. The Dynamic Austrian Open is part of the Euro Tour and was Ouschan’s first major championship. The championship exposed him to the world stage of pool and allowed him to mingle with some of the best players in Europe.
Albin Ouschan’s Championships
Albin Ouschan has played competitive pool for over 20 years, but has been a pro for around 15 years. In that time, he has played in dozens of championships and tournaments and won some major Austrian, European, and World championships.
Here is an overview of some of the major titles:
1. Mosconi Cup (5 times)
Ouschan has been on the winning team in the Mosconi Cup 5 times.
- 2015 – Was on the European team that defeated team USA 11–7
- 2016 – Was on the European team that defeated team USA 11–3. Ouschan was also voted the MVP for the 2016 tournament.
- 2020 – Was on the European team that defeated team USA 11–3
- 2021 – Was on the European team that defeated team USA 11–6
- 2022 – Was on the European team that defeated team USA 11–7
2. World Cup of Pool (2 times)
Ouschan has won the World Cup of Pool twice (2017 and 2019) when playing alongside Mario He. The two were also runners up in 2018.
- 2017 – Defeated team USA 10–6 in the finals
- 2019 – Defeated team Philippines 11–3 in the finals
3. WPA World Nine-ball Championship (2 times)
- 2016 – Defeated American Shane Van Boening 13–6 in the finals
- 2021 – Defeated Kuwaiti Omar Al-Shaheen 13–9 in the finals
4. European Open 9-ball Championship (1 time)
- 2022 – Defeated Shane Van Boening 13–11 in the finals
5. Austrian Pool Championship (8 times)
- 2004 – Won the 9-ball event
- 2005 – Won the 8-ball and straight pool events
- 2006 – Won 8-ball, 9-ball, and straight pool events
- 2007 – Won the 9-ball event
- 2008 – Won the 9-ball event
- 2009 – Won the 9-ball event
- 2010 – Won the straight pool event
- 2011 – Won the straight pool event
Albin Ouschan vs. Shane Van Boening
Ouschan has played many high-profile matches over the years against some of the biggest pool stars in the world. Some of his most notable and exciting matches are those he played against Shane Van Boening.
Van Boening has dominated the game for the last couple of decades and is known for his break shots and more aggressive playing style. Ouschan also has killer break shots and is known to quickly run out tables.
Given how similar their playing style is, their competitiveness, and just how good the two are, their matches are always a thriller that many pool lovers look forward to.
Here are some of their most interesting matches:
1. 2022 world pool championship
Ouschan met Van Boening in the 2022 World Pool Championship finals in Milton Keynes, England. Van Boening won the match 13–6 . You can watch the match HERE.
2. European Open Pool Championship
Ouschan also played Van Boening in the 2022 European Open Pool Championship finals. Ouschan won 13–11. You can watch the match HERE.
3. 2021 International 9 Ball Open
Both players had a successful 2021 and played at the 2021 International 9-Ball Open finals. Ouschan defeated Van Boening 10–7. You can watch the match HERE.
Albin Ouschan’s Cue of Choice
Ouschan has been using Predator cues for most of his professional pool career. Predator started sponsoring him back in 2015. Most of his other gear is also from Predator.
His bag includes the following:
- A couple of Predator Revo shafts,
- Colorful Predator gloves
- A cue extension
- Bridge (which he apparently has never used)
- Predator chalk
Other Awards and Achievements
Besides his many local and world championships, Ouschan has received many other awards and accolades.
Here are some of the biggest awards and the years he received them:
1. AZBilliards Player of the Year – 2021
2. EPBF Player of the Year – 2016
3. Ranked WPA World No.1 – 2014
Albin Ouschan is slowly cementing his place as one of the greatest pool players of all time. He has won dozens of championships in Austria and Europe and also has some world titles.
He is still young for a pool player and at the peak of his career, and he will likely keep winning some major championships in the years to come.
Ouschan is one of the most interesting players of the modern era that you should follow if you are a pool fan.
As always, Happy Shooting!